The sustainable features of the conference centre form an integral part of our daily operations, with the building designed for both cultural and physical accessibility.
Our environmental credentials
- Solar chimneys ventilate the building naturally and automatically
- Energy efficient lighting that turns off automatically when an area is not being used
- Carefully balanced window glazing ensures optimum shading and light admittance
- Mechanical ventilation in acoustically protected rooms that overrides the natural ventilation system only when required
- Super-insulated façade panels, roof and floors
- Exposed thermal mass GGBS (sustainable aggregate) concrete ceilings
- Extensive use of untreated FSC (Forestry Stewardship Council) certified timber
- Balancing the requirements of a diverse range of users
- DDA compliant, the Coin Street neighbourhood centre has been developed in consultation with a professional access consultant and in detailed dialogue with the building’s users
- Recycling of paper, card and plastic
- Sustainable caterers that use locally sourced produce
Our Green Journey
Coin Street is committed to promoting sustainability and we aim to follow and promote good sustainability practice, to reduce our environmental impact and help our clients and service partners to do the same.
The neighbourhood centre was built in 1997 with sustainability in mind, equipped with solar chimneys, energy sensor lighting and FSC timber amongst many other features.
Suppliers are chosen according to their own green business practices including caterers that use locally sourced produce and minimal packaging, and cleaners that use environmentally friendly cleaning products.
We are proud to be part of the Green Tourism Business Scheme since 2017 and strive to achieve silver or gold accreditation following ongoing improvements and renovations on the neighbourhood centre.
Coin Street recognises that its operation has an effect on the local, regional and global environment and is committed to minimising the impact of its operations, and complies with relevant environmental laws. We have launched a simple but realistic programme to minimise waste, safeguard the environment and raise awareness of green issues amongst all staff members and visitors. Our aim is to play a proactive role in contributing to achieving sustainability where we have influence.
Our environmental aims are as follows:
- Monitoring and managing Coin Street’s consumption and use of energy.
- Reducing the consumption of water.
- Reducing, reusing and recycling as much of our waste as possible. We currently recycle paper, cardboard, plastics and batteries. We also separate our food waste.
- Undertaking sustainable procurement actions including using local suppliers, recycled materials, biodegradable chemicals and purchasing fair trade products wherever possible.