Gentle Gardening Volunteer
Make local green spaces more colourful and vibrant through helping with planting and weeding. Volunteering in the sessions will also improve health and reduce isolation of local people by growing food to share and supporting those who need help to get involved or just want to have a chat. Gardening has been proven to have therapeutic benefits, helping alleviate isolation and depression though the combination of gentle exercise, getting outside, growing plants and social interaction.
The session includes gardening outside if the weather is good or projects inside in bad weather, we also share a healthy lunch and have the opportunity to take plants home to grow. The role will help you to develop skills in gardening and outdoor education. You could make a real difference to the lives of vulnerable and isolated people as well as finding out more about the local area and being part of the community programmes team.
@ Colombo Centre, 34-68 Colombo Street, London, SE1 8DP and local green spaces
- Help set up and ensure the space is safe and welcoming
- Welcome participants and complete the register
- Engage participants in gardening activities both inside and outside
- Prepare refreshments and healthy snacks with the participants
- Chat and listen to participants
- Help tidy up and debrief after the session
- Plan for future sessions
- Be vigilant to any safeguarding or health and safety concerns and flag them up with the appropriate staff member as soon as possible.
- Travel expenses will be reimbursed with provision of receipts
- Full induction and training will be provided
About Coin Street Community Builders
Coin Street Community Builders is a social enterprise and development trust responsible for developing and managing a significant part of London’s vibrant South Bank.
Our 13 acre estate includes:
- the iconic Oxo Tower Wharf, home to designer-maker studios, exhibition and gallery spaces
- a successful conference centre
- cafes, bars and restaurants
- parks and the Riverside Walkway
- award winning co-operative housing
- a family and children’s centre providing family support and a nursery
Coin Street provides a wide programmes of free and affordable youth and adult programmes at the Coin Street neighbourhood centre and nearby Colombo Sports Centre.
To apply please download the registration form and volunteer application form from our website and return this to email@example.com. Alternatively, please contact Laura for an application form and chat about the role. All volunteers working with children and young people will need to provide 2 references, be wiling to complete a DBS check and safeguarding training.
Phone: 020 7021 1622