The South Bank
During the Second World War, the South Bank had suffered extensive bomb damage. Further demolition followed in preparation for the Festival of Britain, held in 1951.
The Royal Festival Hall was the only permanent legacy of the festival. It was later joined by the National Theatre, the National Film Theatre, ITV London, and many other media and arts organisations.
The 1960s saw a huge increase in the number of office buildings in the area. Staff were mainly commuters with no connection to the local area. By the early 1970s, the residential population of the area had fallen from 50,000 to just 4,000. Schools, shops and local businesses closed.