Coin Street Neighbourhood Centre
The Coin Street neighbourhood centre on Stamford Street provides families in the area with access to the best possible community facilities and services. Designed by Haworth Tompkins Architects, the Coin Street neighbourhood centre forms the fourth side of Iroko Housing Co-operative (also designed by Haworth Tompkins). This superb new building forms part of CSCB’s strategy to provide childcare, learning, enterprise support and leisure opportunities affordable to all members of the community.
The neighbourhood centre has been financially supported by the London Development Agency, SRB funds via the Waterloo Project Board, and the Government’s childern’s centre programme through Lambeth and Southwark councils. The majority of costs are being met by Coin Street Community Builders through borrowing against income from commercial activities.
Architect/project manager: Haworth Tompkins Architects
Structural engineer: Price & Myers
Services engineer: Max Fordham
Quantity surveyor: Davis Langdon
Planning Supervisor: PFB Construction Management Services
Main contractor: Rooff Limited
Environmentally sustainable features are an integral part of the neighbourhood centre. Incorporated into the striking façade are solar ‘chimneys’ to passively ventilate the building. Other features include solar panels to help and heat water, carefully balanced glazing to ensure optimum shading and light admittance, recycled rain water to flush WCs, lighting that is on only when rooms are in use, and recycling of all paper, glass, plastic and tin.
The neighbourhood centre contains:
- A 64-place day nursery providing childcare from 3 months to 5 years
- Out of school provision and youth clubs
- Parent and family support programmes including practical workshops
- Evening and weekend activities
- Conference, meeting and training spaces of the highest quality available for business and community hire
- Creche for parents/carers using the centre
- Access to Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospital midwifery and other specialist teams
- Access to training and employment opportunities
- Access to business and social enterprise support
- Offices for Coin Street staff
- Help desk operating throughout the opening hours of the centre.